Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Term 1 Blog Post 3 : Reflection

Introduction:

In this blog post I will reflect on my personal growth in science and on my performance in the science assessment test for this term(term 1).

How have I has my knowledge and understanding for Science improved and grown?

Firstly I would like to admit that, if every other term in this entire year were to be as enriching and important as this term, I would learn a huge deal more than in my primary school. I still remember the time when I was in Primary 3 and the subject "Science" was first introduced to us. I was very curious as to what this whole subject is about, but I was disappointed when the lessons started.

At my age then, it was very hard for me to concentrate and listen to anything that I did not find interesting. True enough, my science teacher's lessons were boring to the core - even worst than Chinese. As I look back now, I find that the main reason was that I did not understand a single thing that my teacher was saying at all! I would then think to myself, why do we even need to learn this subject in the first place? It is not as if I wanted to be a scientist when I grow up. So in the subsequent years, I studied and studied and memorised just so that I could get a A* for my science.

I would say the turning point for my hatred in science to interest was when I was in Primary 6. My teacher was an absolutely capable and brilliant teacher. As my scores for the subject Science was dropping drastically due to my disgust for it, she decided to give me extra lessons. Well, I couldn't say no, so I just went. What surprised me was that she did not make me go through the textbook again, but instead, she let me conduct cool experiments and explained to me why Science was important, and gradually, I began to have an interest in Science.

So during this term, which is the my first term in Hwa Chong Institution, I managed to further feed my curiosity through opportunities such as ACE. To sum it all up, this term I have improved in that my knowledge of science has increased, and I am more interested in this subject.

My performance in the Science Assessment Test:

For this term's test, I scored a total of 34/40, which is actually 85/100. This means that I got an A1!

As I looked through my paper, I realised that I really could have gotten higher. Many of my mistakes were actually careless mistakes, such as grammar and some missing words. One example here is that I wrote, "Use a tong" when it should be in the plural form instead. I got 3 questions wrong in the MCQ section, which means I lost 3 marks there.

The questions that I got wrong in the MCQ section was partly due to wrong information recall and also some careless mistakes. Truth be told, I actually found the paper easy, and maybe that got me complacent.

I think that if I wanted to improve, I should revise more often so as to avoid having some questions where I cannot remember something that could easily be found in the textbook. Also, I have to try be much more careful and leave at least 5 minutes to check my work in the end. Talking about time, I do actually find the time given for the test paper a little too short. This might be just me, as I had a problem ever since I was Primary 1, which was to spend a lot of time on a particular hard question and not being able to finish a paper. I guess if I want to avoid this next time too, I would just need more practice.

Overall, I am satisfied with my grade for this term!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home